More Partners Supporting Maritime Scholarships to Groom Professionals
September 14, 2023
Singapore, 13 September 2023— A total of 60 MaritimeONE Scholarships and seven Tripartite Maritime Scholarships (TMSS), sponsored by 34 partners from industry, foundations, and unions, were presented at the MaritimeONE and TMSS Awards Ceremony 2023 today. Acting Minister for Transport, Mr. Chee Hong Tat, was the Guest-of-Honour.
2. A record 60 MaritimeONE Scholarships were awarded this year by the Singapore Maritime Foundation (SMF) and 31 partners from industry, foundations, and unions, surpassing last year’s award of 54 scholarships by 27 partners. More companies have come onboard to support MaritimeONE Scholarships in recent years, reflecting the focus on talent development by Maritime Singapore. To date, 584 MaritimeONE Scholarships, with a sponsorship value of $16 million have been awarded since the programme started in 2007.
3 Besides maritime-related courses, the MaritimeONE Scholarships were also awarded to students enrolled in engineering, computer science, data science and artificial intelligence, business and law. A significant number of students enrolled in maritime studies are also embarking on additional majors in sustainability and data analytics. The diversity reflects the multi-disciplinary nature of maritime careers and the new skillsets needed to help accelerate transformation in the global maritime sector, especially in the areas of digitalisation and decarbonisation.
4. “I was drawn to maritime because of the dynamic and diverse career prospects present in the industry. I am taking a second major in data analytics because I see the potential data can help to further digitalise the maritime sector and make it even more efficient and green”, said Ms. Nur ’Ariefah Bte Safie, a recipient of the MaritimeONE Scholarship 2023, doing a Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Maritime Studies at Nanyang Technological University.
5. “I am passionate about engineering and technology and enjoyed my time as a vessel engineer cadet. I hope to help maritime transform through the application of artificial intelligence and new technologies to make ship and engine designs more intelligent, efficient, and green”, said Mr. Ho Soo Jie, a recipient of the MaritimeONE Scholarship 2023, doing a Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering at Singapore Institute of Technology.
6. Recipients of the MaritimeONE Scholarship can choose their course of studies from 34 maritime and non-maritime degrees offered by local and overseas universities, as well as five courses by Singapore Polytechnic.
MaritimeONE-Singapore Maritime Institute (SMI) Postgraduate Research & Development Scholarship
7. Following the announcement at the Singapore Maritime Week 2023 in April, interested applicants can submit their applications for the MaritimeONE–SMI postgraduate research and development Scholarships by 30 September 2023. The postgraduate scholarship covers the full tuition fees for PhD and Master’s programmes for Singaporean and PR students planning to embark on a career as researchers in the area of deep technology, sustainability and digitalisation. SMI plans to award up to nine postgraduate scholarships by end-2025.
Tripartite Maritime Scholarship (TMSS)
8. Seven Tripartite Maritime Scholarships (TMSS) were awarded this year, supported by the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA), the Singapore Maritime Officers’ Union, the Singapore Organisation of Seamen, and industry partners comprising Fleet Ship Management Pte Ltd, NYK Shipmanagement Pte Ltd, OSM Thome Group, and PACC Ship Managers Pte Ltd. Swire Shipping Pte Ltd is coming onboard as a scholarship sponsor for the first time.
9. “I was inspired to become a master mariner by my lecturer at the Institute of Technical Education who was a seafarer. I hope to role model him and inspire more females to join the maritime industry, including going out to sea. I know there are also many careers ashore for experienced seafarers”, said Ms Putri Sri Wahyuni, a TMSS 2023 recipient pursuing her Diploma in Nautical Studies at Singapore Maritime Academy, Singapore Polytechnic.
10. TMSS was introduced in 2002 as a seafaring scholarship for students pursuing a Diploma in Nautical Studies or Diploma in Marine Engineering at the Singapore Maritime Academy, Singapore Polytechnic. The scholarship offers students an opportunity to pursue their aspirations to become ship captains or chief engineers of ocean-going ships and eventually take on leadership roles in the maritime industry.
Global Internship Award Programme Extended for Another Six Years
11. Established in 2013, the MPA Global Internship Award (GIA) has helped over 340 undergraduates gain valuable on-the-job experience and global exposure at reputable international maritime companies, as well as mentorship opportunities with industry practitioners. MPA will extend the GIA programme for another six years from 2024 to 2029, and SMF will open the applications for GIA 2024 in 4Q 2023.
12. “As transformation in the maritime sector accelerates, companies are starting to have new types of roles and requiring new hard and soft skills to advance digitalisation and decarbonisation. The industry needs diverse talent and companies must work together to nurture the future talent. I thank our industry partners for providing the scholarships, and the scholarship recipients for their passion and commitment to Maritime Singapore,” said Mr. Hor Weng Yew, Chairman, SMF.
13. “Building the maritime talent pool and nurturing the next generation of maritime leaders is a collective responsibility. The strong support by the industry and foundations for these scholarships and awards sends a clear signal that the maritime sector is transforming and will support talent and professional development to spearhead our digitalisation and decarbonisation aspirations. As the maritime industry is global and interconnected, our students can expect many exciting and fulfilling careers here and abroad. MPA congratulates all scholarship and award recipients,” said Mr Teo Eng Dih, Chief Executive, MPA.
 Annex A – MaritimeONE Scholarship Programme
 Annex B – Tripartite Maritime Scholarship (TMSS)
 Annex C – List of Partners supporting MaritimeONE Scholarships
 Annex D – List of selected recipients of the MaritimeONE Scholarships and TMSS
 The GIA will be managed by SMF beginning from the next intake
About the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA)
MPA was established on 2 February 1996 with the mission to develop Singapore as a premier global hub port and international maritime centre, and to advance and safeguard Singapore’s strategic maritime interests. MPA is the driving force behind Singapore’s port and maritime development, taking on the roles of port authority, maritime and port regulator and planner, international maritime centre champion, national maritime representative and a champion of digitalisation and decarbonisation efforts at regional and international fora such as at the International Maritime Organization. MPA partners industry, research community and other agencies to enhance safety, security, and environmental protection in our waters, facilitate maritime and port operations and growth, expand the cluster of maritime ancillary services, and develops maritime digitalisation and decarbonisation policies and plans, R&D and manpower development. MPA is responsible for the overall development and growth of the maritime domain and Port of Singapore. In 2022, Singapore remained one of the world’s busiest transshipment hubs with a container throughput of 37.3 million 20-foot equivalent units (TEUs).
About the Singapore Maritime Foundation
Established in 2004, the Singapore Maritime Foundation (SMF) is a conduit between the public and private sectors to accomplish the twin mission of developing and promoting Singapore as an International Maritime Centre (IMC); and to attract, engage and grow a talent pipeline to position Maritime Singapore for continued growth. SMF galvanizes the industry to drive a holistic suite of talent development programmes such as scholarships, internships, case competitions, campus seminars, company visits, and more, to support the educational pursuits of young talent and to equip them with skills for the maritime sector.For details, visit https://www.smf.com.sg